Wednesday, July 22, 2009

TRIBE pulls a Lil Wayne & leaks their own 2010 costumes ...

... but they kinda suck. Sigh.

So we here at The Angry Pothound are not Carnival-ites. Don't get us wrong, The Dog has been known to play mas most years and generally is all about the jump-up. But we have some Commandments which we hope you're familiar with, the First one being "Thou shalt no longer spend thy entire year's salary to play mas/Carnival 365 days a year, in every possible Carnival around the globe. The Dog says to cool it a little bit, there's a worldwide economic recession."

Obviously, it would be pretty hypocritical of us to get all Carnival-crazy now, right? But we catch the bug every now and again, and happily join in the free-drinking, costume-wearing festivities from year to year. We can't help ourselves. It's fun. The Dog likes fun. He even has his special Dog-tailored costume made for him every year.

So when we got the word that photos of Tribe's 2010 presentation "The Secret of Silk" had been leaked, we checked our inbox and, true enough, one of our contacts had the leak and had already sent it along to us. We looked through the presentation, just so we can say for sure we did it, and ...

Not. Impressed.

The Dog is not impressed. We want to put this in a way that won't hurt any feelings. Like a really nice break-up letter. Because, honestly, we love Tribe. We think they're great. They're the most fun band every single year, and they're more organized than our country's own government.

Sigh. Here’s our open letter to Tribe. Here goes.



Dear Tribe,

Don't take this the wrong way. We love you, and we know that we've been cool for a while. It's been great. We had great times in 2008. And 2009, well it was soooo memorable. You met some of my friends too for the first time. They loved you, it was awesome! But for 2010, I'm not sure if we can continue doing this.

In this relationship, you've made sure I've been happy and comfortable. Every year you give me free food and drinks, and those amazing cooling mist trucks that I love when I'm on the road. I give you money when you ask for it. It's been a nice, mutualistic relationship.

We've had some great times. That time when you let me onto the air-conditioned Heineken bus when I was sweating and thought I couldn't go on. You gave me hope when I didn’t have any. When I lost my TLC card, you found my information and let me register. You’re always doing nice, thoughtful things like that, you’re so organized. It’s one of the things I’ve always loved about you.

It’s not us, it’s you. Honestly. We really didn’t expect you to leak your 2010 costumes, especially because Island People already did that last year when they leaked their 2009 presentation “Heaven On Earth” to mixed reviews. We thought you were better than that. And we definitely didn’t anticipate that you would charge people TT$300 for the launch too. Moreover, we’re so let down by the actual costumes themselves. Sigh, the costumes. It’s sooo hard to write this stuff to you. Trying to be brave.

The costumes are kind of ... well, fugly. They are not worth much buzz. And people spend their salaries and put themselves in debt just to be able to be part of the jump-up, including the preliminary parties and fetes, so it all really needs to be worth it, Tribe. If you are not going to put the effort in, it makes me think that you’re not willing to put the effort into our relationship either. And I told myself a long time ago that I would never fall for someone that wasn’t ready to commit to a relationship. You take me for granted all the time. But no more. I am breaking up with you.

Don’t be confused: I love you, Tribe. So much. But love is like this. It's about give and take. But these days, it’s more like I give, you take. But no more. I’ve got to be strong, and learn when to say “no” to you. So I’m saying “no” now, for the first time.

I love you very much.

I’m so sorry. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me, one day.

Love,
The Angry Pothound
*arf


Wow, that was hard to write. But The Dog is trying to be brave here. Things are, IFFY with Tribe right now, you know? BUT, if you want to see the costumes, The Dog thinks He can do that for you. Leave a comment with your email address on this post for us here at The Angry Pothound, and we’ll email you the photos. And we won’t make you pay for it. It goes against everything The Dog stands for. We would put the photos up for you to see here yourselves, but we would not like to get sued. We feel like Tribe would sue us. It may be a nasty divorce. We’ll let you know how it goes.

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha!!! plz send me the leaked costumes at terri.jones61@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

pls email dem to me! alana_m83@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

plz email the leaked pics @ shinnell_secrets@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

hi plz email to melissasingh@live.com thanks much.

Unknown said...

please snd me the leaked costumes at smurfette_is@hotmail.com

tamstrhamstr said...

lol... send me the link 2 the leakd costumes!!!!!

iminluvwita_badting@hotmail.com

carnivalicious said...

me toooo please:

missyweldon@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

PLZ SEND THEM TO ME: go.smith@live.com

I COULD DO WITH A LAUGH

derevolushun said...

Are the food and drinks still free if you spend a sizeable portion of your salary on the "costume".

That being said... email me too please :) derevolushunwidin@gmail.com

Side note: I'm in awe of your ability to make a line from "A Brighter Sun" be about taking cock. Ingenious

Anonymous said...

email me as well.... frecklegodess1384@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

someone anyone plz send me the pics at star.rblind@yahoo.com

Billy Mathis, Realtor said...

Love de breakup letter! lol Can you please send the pics to me at mathis@bisonstampede.org

*tall7* said...

Was anyone able to view the costumes? If so, what were your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Pls send - I LOVE your comments - well said!!

Anonymous said...

Very well written --excellent job pls send pics smanatol@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

valsterd1st@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

plese send me the leaked costume pics @mathismd@mail.nih.gov

Anonymous said...

please forward the pics to me! redz1810@yahoo.co.uk - thanks!

Anonymous said...

please forward the pics to me!

a1lover2009@hotmail.com

Tribe gone tru since ah see they charging 300 to go they launch...

link meh...

AH LUV THE ARTICLE BTW... angry pothound to the werlllllllllll

Anonymous said...

I think the costumes are o.k. - Osage and Xi Lin Shi female costumes are stunning!! All others are just o.k....

Anonymous said...

Gracias.
go.smith@live.com

Anonymous said...

XI LING SHI. Is really the only one that gets my vote. Other than that they're okay. I mean, they lack the WOW factor. But they're cool. It seems like a lot of effort went into the headpiece rather than the detailing of the bra. What a shame.

But I should be promoting Tribe to make more room for me in Spice. LMRO.

go.smith@live.com

Anonymous said...

i want to see that as well. jsantanasbby@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Plz send me the pics at trickygecko@hotmail.com
Thx.

I already saw them on fb and I also was NOT impressed so I am really hoping that you have different - PRETTIER - ones.

Thx again.

Anonymous said...

please send me a link to blueswayze@aol.com

Anonymous said...

this blog is HILARIOUS! please email pics asap. mrchrs17@aol.com

Anonymous said...

pls email them to me as well sarah2_bad4u@hotmail.com

*tall7* said...

Well, could someone please send the pics to AKAtude98@gmail.com. Thanks in advance!

Trinpeaks said...

lol that was way funny and honest,well you make me want to see those costumes now more than ever cause I was actually thinking about playing with TRIBE, please send the photos to me, thanks. trinpeaks@hotmail.com.

Anonymous said...

ahahah well done tribe well done LOL sen the link to l2c4freak@hotmail.com ty

Trinbajan said...

Can you please send the photos to me. black_queen14@yahoo.ca ty

Unknown said...

i agree i would like to see them send to kgordygirl@gmail.com

thanks

Anonymous said...

hahaha!!!!love it. I feel the same about them leaking it. But wait, do people sue in Trini now? I'm been away for too long.

Anonymous said...

the costumes are really fugly!!! 2010 shus hav been 2009 birds of a feather!!! they disappoint me

Anonymous said...

i can't sy that i agree with yall on this one ....they aren't ALL great but there r a few good ones....i mean honestly how much can one do with a bikini some beads some feathers and a limited number of colors that look good on human skin from trinidad??...anyways..tribe to me is not about the costume..it really is about the experience and i would still give tribe my money because monday and tuesday is well worth it (even if im not in the toppa top costume). I prefer to spend my money knowing my carnival will be a safe and highly enjoybale one rather than spending it on a questionable experience in another band...

please note however as much as i love TRIBE they didn't get my $300 supprt for their band launching..that was just plain ole ridiculous and refused to support it...

Anonymous said...

ok i have been off the carnival scene for about 6 years now eh so maybe i missin something but for the past 10 years costumes have been about what colour u like and what band all yuh friends in right. i mean a bikini some beads and a feather in ur hat pretty much sums up "costumes" for the past 10 years...so that everyone so "disappointed" seems silly to me. but thats just me, i still playin with them next year, will be my first carnival experience so am lookin forward to it...all i did was choose a colour i liked :-D

stacey said...

hey please send me the pictures of the costumes. Bes letter by the way. s_paterson_22@hotmail.com